Back To Activities

Rural School Museum Logo

RHINELANDER SCHOOL MUSEUM


Pioneer Park
Rhinelander, WI

THE HISTORY OF THIS SCHOOL BUILDING.........

This building was built in the early 1900's in the Town of Newbold on the Spider Lake Road and was first called the Neuhaus School - being named after early settlers in that area. Later it was re-named the Tom Doyle School and continued
in use in that area for many years. After consolidation, this building was purchased by the Pine Lake School Board for the sum of $700 (which included moving expenses).

It was moved to the Pine Lake School location and became a part of the Pine
Lake School. In 1953, the present new Pine Lake School was built and shortly thereafter this building was no longer needed as a school. In 1955 Mr. Fred Stockley purchased the building and had it moved to his to his property on
Hwy. C; he planned to remodel it and make it into a home for his elderly parents. However, this was never done, but he did tear out some partitions and began remodeling the interior.

Come and Visit Us


Inside School House

In 1975 the PTA Council began a search for a one-room school building to be     restored so that today's children and adults could see what school was like in the rural areas years ago. The school was purchased by the local Kiwani's from Mr. Stockley, and with the help of the PITS, RARTA, and many individuals, the building was restored to its present condition. The School building was moved to its present location at Pioneer Park and was completely restored and opened to the public on July 15, 1978.
Early education in Oneida County was available in one-room schools in the early 1900's to around 1960 -70; when consolidation required discontinuation of use of these schools in rural areas.

The School Museum is open to the public during the summer season from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM, 7 days a week.

Arrangements can be made for special and group tours.


HOME | AREA RESORTS/HOTELS | AREA LAKES | AREA EVENTS/ACTIVITIES | FOOD/DRINK | SNOWMOBILING | DIRECTIONS  | SITE MAP